Thursday, January 31, 2013

Exploring Texture in Artwork


Rainbow Race by Jayden 










Altering the surface of the paper to create various textures was an engaging experience.  To play with this idea, we used gesso mixed with paint as our base layer. Paint Scrapers were used to add surface lines.  The back of our brushes or a closed marker was our tool for drawing the image onto the still wet surface.  Watercolors were used the following class period to paint the image.  Leaving the outlines unpainted resulted in more dramatic effects.  To see the process watch the video below.



Textured from Gabriela Elizalde on Vimeo.

2 comments:

  1. Such beautiful examples of textural artwork.
    I love the video.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love dropping by because I always see something new and intriguing here and I love your student work.
    Those white lines are, to me, a thing of rare beauty.

    ReplyDelete